The European Scientific Conference on Applied Infectious Disease Epidemiology (ESCAIDE) has its roots in the EPIET Scientific Seminar, and since the first ESCAIDE in October 2007 in Stockholm, the EAN has contributed to both the logistical and scientific organisation of the conference.
The EAN President sits on the ESCAIDE Scientific Committee, and the EAN Board provides travel grants to colleagues from low- and middle-income countries, awards prizes for the best oral and poster presentations at the conference, and since 2012, has also run a highly popular "photo from the field" competition. EAN members act as moderators/chairs for oral and poster sessions, as judges for prizes, and innovate with ideas such as BarCamp@ESCAIDE. They volunteer their time, ideas and boundless enthusiasm to ensure that, year on year, all these activities are a success.
We all know how easy it is to lose touch, and the annual ESCAIDE also provides members with the welcome opportunity to catch up face to face with each other. The EAN holds its annual General Assembly during ESCAIDE, to which all members and current fellows are invited. Decisions affecting the network are made here, including the introduction and voting in of the new EAN Board.
But, ESCAIDE is also a social event. As alumni, we look forward to ESCAIDE each year, knowing that it provides a welcome chance to meet the new fellows and to reconnect with old friends and colleagues, developing and maintaining those strong links between the community of field epidemiologists and public health microbiologists to which we belong.
A little history:
- In 1996, at the end of the second EPIET Introductory Course, the first EPIET Scientific Seminar was organised in the library of the Mérieux Foundation in Veyrier-du-Lac, France. There were 11 EPIET Scientific Seminars, from 1996 to 2006
- In 2004, the EPIET Introductory Course and the Scientific Seminar moved to the Spanish Island of Menorca, hosted by the Spanish Ministry of Health at the historic Lazareto de Mahón
- By 2005, with the foundation of ECDC and the move of EPIET to Stockholm, EAN proposed to the EPIET Steering Committee that a European Conference for Field Epidemiology be established to replace the EPIET Scientific Seminar. The idea for ESCAIDE was born [ref: EAN Newsletter, October 2010]
- The first ESCAIDE was held in October 2007 in Stockholm. Between 2007-2012, hosting of the conference alternated between Stockholm and a city of an EU Member State or EEA (Berlin, 2008; Lisbon, 2010; Edinburgh, 2012), returning to Stockholm from 2013-2017. From 2018, ESCAIDE will start alternating again between Stockholm and another city of an EU/EEA Member State
- In 2010, the sitting and former EAN Presidents and the EAN Board joined forces to organise the awarding of the 'EAN President's Prize' for the best Oral and best Poster presentations at ESCAIDE; in that first year, the prize was voted on by all participants at the conference [ref: EAN Newsletter December 2010]
- The EAN "Photo from the field" contest was first held at ESCAIDE 2012 and was an idea of EAN member Saverio Caini (EPIET Cohort 16/2010)
- The first BarCamp@ESCAIDE took place at ESCAIDE 2014 and was an initiative of EAN member Florian Burckhardt (EPIET/PAE Cohort 12/2006)
- The EAN held its first lunchtime General Assembly at ESCAIDE 2016
Become a judge for the EAN Best oral Prize @ESCAIDE 2016 Dear EAN members, ESCAIDE 2016 is approaching and this is the exactly the time where EAN needs you!!!! We are looking for people from the EPIET Alumni Network that will be...
BarCamp ESCAIDE 2016 will take place on Tuesday 29th Nov between 18:40-20:00. What is BarCamp ESCAIDE? Every year at ESCAIDE hundreds of front-line professionals in applied infectious diseases from Europe and beyond, who present their work, discuss it with peers and seniors, and network. BarCamp...
Dear Epiet Alumni and current EPIET/EUPHEM fellows, If you are coming to this year’s ESCAIDE, please make sure to visit the BarCamp on day two. It is a dynamic forum for raw ideas, methodological hiccups, data challenges and more. BarCamp @ ESCAIDE is...
Bridging epidemiology to public health security policy – 10 November 2015, Health Programme symposium at the ESCAIDE conference, Stockholm, information
Please find the information requested about the Bridging epidemiology to public health security policy workshop, which will take place on the 10 November 2015, Courtyard by Marriott Stockholm, Rålambshovsleden, 50, SE-112 19 - Stockholm. The last version of the agenda is in...
Dear EAN members, ESCAIDE 2015 is approaching and this is the exactly the time where EAN needs you!!!! We are looking for people from the EPIET Alumni Network that will be attending ESCAIDE 2015 to help us in comprising a jury panel...